Reduce plastic use by going to plastic-free grocery stores
Did you know that Spain recycles less plastic than most European countries? More than a third of the plastic containers in Spain end up in landfills. Does that surprise you? Are you looking for ways to reduce the use of plastic? Here at Linverd- Ecological Supermarket, we are a plastic-free grocery store and the first supermarket in Catalonia dedicated to a zero-waste lifestyle, without plastic packaging and with ecological, natural and sustainable products. Here are some ways you can reduce plastic waste.
- Stop using plastic straws, even in restaurants. If a straw is a must, buy a reusable glass or stainless steel straw.
- Use a reusable produce bag or eco-friendly basket. A single plastic bag can take 1,000 years to decompose. Buy or make your own reusable produce bag and be sure to wash it often!
- Buy boxes instead of bottles. Products like laundry detergent often come in cardboard, which is more easily recycled than plastic.
- Reuse containers to store leftovers or buy in bulk.
- Use a reusable bottle or cup for your beverages, even when ordering from a store to go.
- Bring your own to-go container or doggie bag from your restaurant, as many restaurants use Styrofoam.
The trend of organic food without packaging is on the rise and at this time there are very few plastic-free grocery stores around the world that provide these services to the consumer and who can enjoy products in bulk, without packaging and organic products.
People are more informed about the problems that plastic affects the world and its consequences are already beginning to be visible. For this reason we must facilitate a responsible future for the consumer.